Your home cooling and heating systems work hard to maintain a comfortable temperature that you desire. When the weather starts changing, it can be a tough transition from hot to cold or vice versa. To help you maintain a more comfortable environment year-round without raising utility bills, Custom Aire offers a few useful tips for choosing settings that maintain the seasonal efficiency of your air conditioning and furnace.
The best way to keep your HVAC system running smoothly and efficiently is to keep the internal temperature of your house as close to the outside temperature as possible. This can be uncomfortable during summer or winter when temperatures get more extreme, however. Fortunately, there are some guidelines for each season to ensure comfort without using too much energy. Here are some tips for each season:
- Winter: 68°F is the ideal temperature to keep your home while it is cold outside. When you leave during the day, set the thermostat lower by 5° to 8° to save energy. You can also save energy during a large chunk of time if you lower the thermostat by a few degrees while you sleep. Many people enjoy sleeping in cooler environments, and it will cut back greatly on your energy usage.
- Summer: In the summer, bump the thermostat up to 78°F while you are home. In contrast to the winter, keep the temperature slightly higher while you’re not home to keep the difference between the inside and outside as close as possible.
If making these adjustments every day seems time-consuming, there is a solution. Programmable thermostats are offered by Custom Aire and set preferred temperature levels for specific times each day. For example, if you decide to keep your house cool while you sleep during the winter, you can set the thermostat to raise the temperature 30 minutes before you wake up so you’ll be comfortable as you roll out of bed. This can also be used for the times that you leave and come home every day so you’re always met with a pleasant temperature. In addition, many of these devices are equipped with Wi-Fi, enabling you to make adjustments from your phone if your schedule changes or the weather is unpredictable.
Other than maintaining your thermostat settings throughout the day, there are a few other ways you can increase the efficiency of your system and save money. Here are a few steps to take before the seasons change that will keep everything running smoothly:
- Filters: Dirty filters impede airflow and make your unit work harder than needed. Make sure to change the filters on your furnace and air conditioner at least once every three months, and once a month during the winter.
- Clean Vents: Similar to the filters, vacuuming the vents of your HVAC system will remove any debris or dust that blocks the flow of air.
- Maintain a Clear Area Around the System: Maintain at least three feet of space around your HVAC unit to allow uninterrupted airflow.
- Schedule Biannual Maintenance: Some HVAC maintenance requires assistance from a technician. Make sure to have your heating or cooling system checked by a professional at least twice a year. A service agreement can be a great way to stay on top of all seasonal maintenance.
Setting your thermostat correctly and ensuring proper airflow will save on your energy bill and help extend the life of your HVAC system. Another great way to stay efficient? Call on trusted HVAC technicians for residential service and repairs. With 50 years of experience throughout Philadelphia, Bucks and Montgomery Counties, Custom Aire is prepared to keep your HVAC equipment in top condition. Contact us to schedule a consultation and receive a free quote.